The Double Windsor Knot is best used with dress shirts that have wide-spread collars. The Double Windsor Knot is thicker and wider and requires more tie length to achieve the look some taller men may consider using XL length ties.
- Fold the shirt collar up, and button the top button
- Place the necktie around your neck and ensure that the wide end of the tie is 6-7 inches below than the narrow end
- Cross the narrow end over the wide end
- Slip the tie through the gap between the neck and the tie knot
- Keep pulling the tie all the way around until it is back behind the narrow end of the tie
- Repeat this action again but with the other side
- After this, wrap the wide end of the tie and bring it back over towards the front
- Pull the wide end again through the gap between your neck and the knot loosely, so that a loop is created
- Slip the wide end of the knot through this newly created loop
- Adjust and tighten to neaten the knot and place your collar back down over the necktie.
It’s up to you if you want a dimple in the tie but remember if you don’t do a dimple the tie lays flat.
The video below shows an example as well of how to tie the Double Windsor Knot.